Cookies and this website

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience. If you'd like to know more please read our cookie policy

Skip to content

Frequently asked questions applications


Who can apply for properties through North Ayrshire Housing Register?

Anyone aged 16 years or over has the right to join a housing register. You can apply on your own, as a single applicant, or with other people and have a joint application.

How is my housing need assessed?

Your housing need is assessed in line with the North Ayrshire Housing Allocation Policy which is a shared (or common) allocation policy. This is the set of rules that the NAHR landlords have agreed to use to let their empty houses. Your housing need is assessed once and you don't have different levels of points with different landlords. The policy is a 'group plus points' policy. Your application is placed in one of seven groups and can be awarded points for various recognised housing needs. You can read about the policy in the allocation policy summary (PDF 640KB)

How do I apply to join the Housing Register?

You will need to fill in an application form. You can either do this while you are on-line from this site or you can collect a paper form from one of the offices of the NAHR partners

What other documents do I need to provide?

There are some answers where we require proof. We have indicated this next to the question if this is the case. A summary of what we need is:

  • Proof of address for applicants who are not tenants of an NAHR landlord. We need to see an original – bank statement, driving licence, utility bill or a letter or other documentation from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP)
  • Your passport if you are a non-UK citizen, Proof of separation where you are still living with your ex-partner, Confirmation of any shared access to children arrangements e.g. a letter from a solicitor or from your children's other parent
  • Proof of your connection to North Ayrshire if you live out with North Ayrshire. Proof if you need to leave your current accommodation e.g. a copy of your AT5, tenancy agreement and notice to quit, your repossession correspondence if your lender is repossessing your property or discharge documents if you are leaving the armed forces

If any of the situations above apply you will need to bring in or send the necessary documents to one of our offices.

What happens if I do not provide the required documents?

Your application will still be processed and added to the proper group but if you are picked to get an offer, you will not get this until these documents have been confirmed.

How do I know if I have been accepted onto the Housing Register?

You will receive a letter confirming that you have been accepted onto the Housing Register. This will tell you the group you have been placed into and your points, the date your application has been registered from and the size of property you are eligible for. It will also confirm details of the house types you have asked for and in what areas.

What are the Groups?

The groups are based on the different circumstances which affect who we need to give priority to. We need to give priority to certain people because of needs laid down in allocation law. We give higher priority to people who come under allocation law. Your application will be assessed according to your level of housing need and placed in the group that meets your housing need
The groups explained within the Allocation Policy Summary (PDF 640KB)

What size of property will I be given?

The size of property you will be given is explained within the Allocation Policy Summary (PDF 640KB)

Welfare Reform changes
Under occupation and Housing Benefit
Under the rules the Government brought in for welfare reform, if you have more bedrooms than the Government says you need, you are under occupying and will lose part or all of your housing benefit.  The new rules mean that for housing benefit purposes you will be allocated one bedroom for:

  • each adult couple
  • any other person aged 16 or over
  • two children of the same sex under the age of 16
  • two children under the age of 10 regardless of their sex
  • any other child
  • a carer (who does not normally live with you) if you or your partner need overnight care

The rules will apply even if for example:

  • you and your partner need to sleep apart because of a medical condition

Our allocation policy allows you to have more bedrooms that the new Government welfare reform regulations. This leaflet (PDF 1.08MB) may help you understand the Government changes.

If you need to use housing benefit to pay your rent, you will have to make up the shortfall yourself if you are deemed to be underocupying your property for Housing Benefit

What do I do if my circumstances change?

It is very important that you tell us of any changes in your circumstances so that we can amend your application. We will tell you if this results in your application moving to a different group. If you move group, the date used will be the original date of application.

Do I need to renew my application each year?

Yes, once a year, normally on the anniversary of your application you will be sent a letter or email asking you to complete and return within 28 days. If you fail to return the form, we will write and tell you that your application has been cancelled.

What if someone in my household needs to move because of accessibility issues?

If you have completed an accessible housing application your application will be assessed by the Occupational Therapist for Housing who will decide whether you qualify for an award. There are 3 possible grades that can be awarded for accessible housing.

How do you decide who is offered a property?

The type of allocation policy we run is called a 'group plus points' system. We put people who apply into one of seven groups depending on their needs. You also have a certain number of points and the priority of the applications in each group will be based on which people have the most points. If two people have the same number of points, we give priority to the one who applied first. We set targets for the number of properties we give to each group and we call this a letting plan. The targets are worked out by looking at the demand in the different groups

If I am offered a property, will I be able to view it before making up my mind?

Yes. You will be given an opportunity to view the property and decide whether you would like to accept it.

What if I don't like the property when I have seen it?

You will not normally be penalised for refusing a property that you have been offered and will still be able to be considered for any properties that become available.

What other options are there for housing?

Most applicants on the Housing Register will have to wait a long time for re-housing and many of those in the lower groups will still have little chance of re-housing in the local area. Depending on your circumstances you may wish to consider other options such as renting in the private sector. We may be able to help you with a deposit for private rented if you meet certain criteria. Interviews to discuss your housing options are available by appointment from any one of the partners in the register

What if I become homeless?

We do not award points for being homeless. Homeless people are assessed in terms of the homeless legislation and the council's homelessness policy. If you are assessed as being unintentionally homeless and in priority need you will be placed in Group 1 and will receive an offer of housing. If you are homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless, you should contact the Homeless Advice Team on 01294 314600 immediately for advice and assistance.